BROADCASTING AND SOCIAL MEDIA PROFESSIONAL
Emmy Award winning, broadcast and social media expert, certified in LEAN Process Improvement Strategies, with 20 years of experience in Government Public Communications, Multi-Media Journalism, Social Media Management and Radio Broadcasting.
GOVERNMENT /PUBLIC SECTOR EXPERIENCE
CITY OF NORTHGLENN (AUGUST 2018 – CURRENT)
Northglenn is a Home Rule Municipality with a 9-member Council - 1 City Manager style government. Located in Adams County Colorado, Northglenn has a population of 39,000, a median age of 33 years old and median income of $68,237. This thriving city was built as a master planned community in 1959 by Jordon Perlmutter & was named “The most perfectly planned community in America” by Life Magazine & the National Association of Home Builders.
• Increased organic reach and engagement year over year and saved the city $8,150 annually by carefully reviewing analytics and scheduling posts
consciously using platform managers such as Hootsuite and Sprout Social, as well as creating compelling social media content on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Youtube and NextDoor
• Independently created and implemented a statewide social media advisory collective with a focus on government, utility, and non-profit organizations.
• Authored, executed & trained staff on the current City Employee Social Media Policy & FAQs adopted by Northglenn City Council on June 24, 2019 to which all 212 city employees must adhere.
• Increased video content 3-second video views from 23,505 to 52,900 (125% growth) and 1-minute video views from 8,310 to 18,700 (71.7% growth)
• Supervise audio-visual contractors and ensure bi-weekly coverage and production of city council meetings and study sessions
• Advisory consultant to multiple departments in the production of digital content for public information campaigns
• Engineer audio, lighting and video production
• Evaluate social media analytics and create a biweekly report detailing reach, impressions and engagements on various social media platforms for Northglenn’s city manager.
• Implemented LEAN Process improvement organizational techniques to asses and organize all promotional as well as digital hardware and software assets in the communications department
• Conducted a thorough audit of all digital assets resulting in: the location and donation of over $40,000 in outdated audio and video equipment, the acquisition of new digital cameras and tripods, and the use of wireless microphones
• Facebook - - 4,137 followers – Increased organic reach from 85,647 to 157,711 users
• Instagram - - @cityofnorthglenn – 599 followers – Increased impressions from 20,000 to 102,818
• Twitter - - @Northglennco - 3,376 followers – Doubled organic impressions from 23,305 to 56,610
• CSMg3 Collective - Statewide Social Media Professionals Advisory Collective, consisting of 45 municipalities, two universities and one county: Founder
• Sold Out Public Event - Northglenn’s 50th Anniversary Event – Women’s History in the Making featuring Lieutenant General Laura Richardson - 320-person ticketed evening event honoring the contributions women have made to the City of Northglenn during Women’s History Month highlighting keynote speaker, and Northglenn native, Lt. General Laura Richardson.
• Large Scale Public Event Manager- Northglenn’s 50th Anniversary Event – 50 Years Forged in Iron – 400 residents attended this Community Iron Pour and concert to celebrate the City of Northglenn’s Anniversary.
CITY AND COUNTY OF DENVER (NOV. 2014 – AUG. 2017)
City and County of Denver is the Capital and most populous municipality in Colorado. The City and County of Denver has a population of 682,545 a median age of 37 years old and median income of $76,643.
COMMUNICATIONS/ TRAINING SPECIALIST – OFFICE OF THE INDEPENDENT MONITOR (NOV. 2016 – AUG. 2017)
The Office of the Independent Monitor (OIM) is the civilian oversight agency for the police & sheriff departments for the City and County of Denver.
• Developed and implemented social media training for five youth and police relations staff members
• Conducted Implicit Bias Training for 102 police and sheriff’s department officers and 307 Denver Public Schools students
• Lead Conflict Resolution Training for members of the Denver City and County Citizen’s Oversight Board
• Maintained the Facebook page for the Office of the Independent Monitor
• Wrote six new standard operating procedures for social media
• Reviewed policy concerning police-youth relations and sheriff officer-inmate relations.
COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST -MAYOR'S OFFICE OF CHILDRENS' AFFAIRS (NOV. 2015 – NOV. 2016)
The Office of Children’s Affairs convenes policy makers, advocates & community partners to leverage resources that work to improve outcomes for all Denver children and youth.
• At the request of Mayor Michael Hancock, and in collaboration with Denver 8 TV, personally wrote, produced and directed “The Courage to Care” (2016), a 30-minute documentary on at-risk youth in Denver
• Strategized, created and implemented 24 Facebook social media campaigns for eight internal programs within the Mayor’s Office of Children’s Affairs in collaboration with each program director to inform external stakeholders.
• Work closely with local media outlets to share information about programs such as After School and TANF
• Collaborate with internal program leaders to create public information campaigns
MANAGING TELEVISION PRODUCER - DENVER 8 TV (NOV. 2014 – NOV. 2016)
Denver 8 TV is the municipal access television station for the City and County of Denver government.
• Managed and mentored a staff of 5 videographers, 3 editors, 2 producers, 1 graphic designer and 1 intern
• Recruit, interview and assign work to staff and contract employees
• Produced “Cabinet in the Community” televised segments where the mayor of Denver and city department heads conduct town hall style presentations of community services and available career opportunities throughout various Denver neighborhoods
• November 2016 - Website development, design and content creation for the Denver District Attorney Elections.
• May 2015 - Scheduled, scripted, and produced pro/con discussions for five ballot measures.
• May 2015 - Produced 10 live, televised debates for Mayoral, Gubernatorial and Denver City Council elections as well as design, develop, and create content for eight Colorado municipal elections, including City Council Districts 1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 9, 10 & 11
• Earned certification in process improvement and applied principles to production scheduling and equipment organization
• Produced and directed “The Courage to Care” (2016) documentary on at-risk youth in Denver
• “Your City Now” producer, director and host of a 3 to 5-minute magazine style show geared for online audiences
• Produced all Denver Decides Election Coverage, Ballot Issue Coverage and Candidate Introduction Coverage
• Produced and directed “Cabinet in the Community” Segments - (Spring 2015, Fall 2015, Spring 2016, Fall 2016)
PROFESSORIAL/ GOVERNMENTAL EXPERIENCE
UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO DENVER – CU SUCCEEDS
(AUG. 2016 – ongoing)
The CU Succeed Program collaborates with high schools all over Colorado to give students the opportunity to gain exposure to actual college courses.
PROFESSOR OF INTERPERSONAL COMMUNICATIONS
Interpersonal Communications - This class merges communication theory and practice to help students become better practitioners of communication within their personal, work, family, and other relationships.
• Teach the eight principles of interpersonal communications
• Develop mentoring relationships with advanced placement high school students to write recommendations and references to college and trade programs
• Create an integrated curriculum including one on one interpersonal skills as well as communication methods in a group setting
METRO STATE UNIVERSITY
DEPARTMENT OF COMMUNICATIONS STUDIES
(AUG. 2016 – ongoing)
Metropolitan State University of Denver, believes that every student should have an opportunity to better their life. They know that real-world higher education is the key factor in upward economic growth.
PROFESSOR OF CIVICS
Civics - promoting the quality of life in a community, through both political and non-political processes.
• Instruct students on the differences and similarities between municipal, state and federal government structures
• Create curriculum specific to various institutional structures to aid students in identifying forms of municipal government
• Hold mock debates and council study sessions during which we review current items on the Denver City Council Agenda
PROFESSOR OF PUBLIC SPEAKING
Public Communications - Individuals and groups engaging in dialog in the public sphere in order to deliver a message to a specific audience. Learning technics to improve public speaking and thought organization to deliver dynamic presentations
• Teach advanced Power Point presentation planning and notecard structure for clarity of thought
• Evaluate and teach speech writing and structure
• Mentor students for placement in internship positions at various political offices, newsrooms and radio stations
• Teach SEO and Web Analytics, as well as Social Media Report Writing for Government Agencies
• Teach Associated Press Style and various alternatives specific to technical, financial and scientific writing
PROFESSOR OF RADIO BROADCASTING
Introduction to Radio Broadcasting - This course focuses on the evolution of broadcasting, its organization, its function, the personnel involved, and the effect broadcasting has on its audience.
• Plan curriculum and create lesson plans with long-term outcomes in mind to benefit students in their job searches
• Asses performance and review students twice per semester to insure academic goals are being achieved
• Maintain knowledge of the radio, television and online broadcast industries
• Recommend the acquisition of industry standard hardware and software to insure students are prepared to work with current technology
• Train students on the Adobe Creative Cloud suite and Final Cut Pro
• Teach digital storytelling, social media marketing, email marketing, mobile strategies
• Conduct equipment audits to ensure sound boards, MARTI units, microphones and software are in working order
PRIVATE SECTOR JOURNALISM EXPERIENCE
GANNETT (JAN. 2013 – OCT. 2014)
Gannett is a leading media and marketing company with unparalleled local-to-national reach. Gannet operates the Iconic USA TODAY, 109 strong local media organizations, 160 local news brands online in the U.K. and Reach Local, a digital marketing company.
News producer /Multi-media journalist – 9News (Jan. 2014 – Oct. 2014)
• Produce local coverage of breaking news and feel good community stories
• Build and maintain relationships with law enforcement public information officers
• Film, write and edit various news stories
• Write web articles
Stringer/ Photographer/ Videographer – USA TODAY (Jan. 2013 – Jan. 2014)
• Covering the Affordable Care Act in the House and and Senate
• Create visual explainers of complex legislation for public consumption
• “Hero Kids” Segments - Conceptualized, wrote and directed four On-Air and digital segments highlighting youth in Colorado that contributed to the community in an extraordinary way or made major accomplishments that were valuable to the community for 9NEWS. “Hero Kids” segments became some of the best performing web content articles on the 9News website.
NATIONAL BROADCASTING COMPANY (NBC NEWS) (SEPT. 2011 – JAN. 2014)
The National Broadcasting Company (NBC) is an American commercial broadcasting television network and former radio network headquartered in New York City's Rockefeller Center, with bureaus and staff in the U.S. and around the world.
ASSIGNMENT DESK EDITOR/ Field Producer (JUNE 2012 – JAN. 2014)
• Manage five news crews per shift (including one reporter or producer, one camera operator, five camera kits, 12 vehicles and two LiveU units)
• Determine what stories would be covered by the NBC, CBS, ABC and FOX news pool
• Review press releases and media kits from various agencies for news planning purposes
• Schedule event coverage and gather further information from sources as needed
• Report and produce live coverage
COMMUNITY AFFAIRS / NEWS PLANNING ASSISTANT EDITOR (SEPT. 2011 – JUNE 2012)
Promoted to entry-level management as an assignment desk editor
• Produced 2012 Election Coverage including:
- Creating a detailed summary of ballot measures in Cook, and DuPage Counties
- Coordinating interviews of House, Senate and Presidential candidates
- Summarizing each candidate’s platform for use in the NBC Newsroom
- Maintaining an in depth awareness of state and local political issues
- Supervising eight staff members in assembling content and crafting questions for candidates
• 2012 - Chicago Midwest Regional Emmy Award for Outstanding Achievement for News Gathering-Light News Series About Last Night - NBC News WMBQ “Just One Drink.”
PRIVATE SECTOR RADIO EXPERIENCE
Commercial production assistant director/ On-Air Talent
103.5 Kiss FM Chicago (2007– 2011)
103.5 Kiss FM is a Top 40 Rhythmic radio station owned by Clear Channel Communications.
• Verified that all commercial content aired at its appropriate time and cross referenced commercial logs with the traffic department
• Assign commercial production to various on air staff in line with their brand and skill sets
• Host the highest rated show in its time slot in the City of Chicago
• Engage with the community at paid appearances and volunteer events as a station ambassador
• Produce commercial content, sound effects and music beds
• Review press releases and news items from various agencies for placement in the commercial traffic rotation and live on-air promotions
Director of community affairs/ On-Air Talent
Radio Now 93.1 Indianapolis (2006 – 2007)
Radio Now 93.1 is a Top 40 Radio Station formerly owned Emmis Communications whose primary demographics were women 25-54. I left because the station was flipped to an ESPN satellite format and the entire staff was laid off.
• Insure all on air staff take the annual FCC Regulation Compliance Test
• Volunteer and network with local non-profit organizations to create events with local sports teams, such as the Colts
• Host the third top-rated daily on-air program in Indianapolis during its time slot
• Create commercial and non-commercial promotional audio content
• Meet with staff and on air talent to insure all station-related volunteer activities were documented according to FCC guidelines
• Choose what local events would be promoted on air in collaboration with the program director
• Manage and coordinate promotions staff and on-air personality appearances with non-profit agencies
Assistant program director/ On-Air Talent
Hot 107.9 Fort WAYNE (2003 – 2006)
Hot 107.9 is a Top 40 Rhythmic radio station whose primary demographics are women 12 – 54, owned by an independent company.
• Managed and mentored 10 promotional staff and six on-air talent staff members resulting in moving from 10th to third in the market
• Recruite, interview, hire and assign work to staff and contract employees
• Produced and logged a weekly public affairs interview show in line with FCC regulations
• Insure all contractual obligations for live appearances are met and track outcomes to assist sales staff in inventory pricing
• Develop good relationships with community members and business owners to identify partnership opportunities
• Read and monitor Arbitron ratings monthly and quarterly to adjust programming decisions as needed